[CentOS] VMWare ESXi & CentOS5.4

Michael Dross mdross at wright-weather.com
Fri Feb 5 18:25:11 UTC 2010

I have recently installed ESXi4 on a new HP DL380 G6 with 12GB of memory.
I am running CentOS 5.4 and CentOS 4.8.  A few things I have learned.

First, for best I/O performance you should use the Vmware Paravirtualized
storage controller driver. It's a little bit of a hassle setting it up.
You just have to remake the initrd file. This will give about 10% better
disk I/O than using the other emulated controllers.

I am using in a dual development/operational environment on the same machine
, which is nice.
You can allocate resource pools, and control how much CPU, Memory each VM or
VM pool gets.

I have noticed about a * 10-15% * overall performance hit running CentOS on
the ESXi hypervisor compared to bare metal.  If your applications are
very CPU and/or I/O intensive then there will be a noticeable difference
between bare metal and a hypervises solution.  So the trade off is a
performance
hit vs the easy of features that come with a virtualized setting.

If you are going to run just one CentOS instance, on the VM, then I wouldn't
think it would be that advantageous to have it on a VM for performance
reasons.

If you do decide to go with ESXi, you might want to up your memory as you
will
probably want to run several VM's and memory get's eaten up pretty quickly.

-Mike