[CentOS] gdm-simple-greeter, redux

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Feb 5 18:41:43 UTC 2010

> Does *anyone* have a clue where gdm-simple-greeter stores the usernames it
> presents? I know that it is not getting it out of /etc/passwd. based on
> users who can log in, since I have several machines where one user, who's
> rolled off, is still showing, even though /etc/passwd has him as having a
> shell that doesn't exist.

Are you running yp, or ldap (ie a network authentification server)?
gdm-simple-greeter gets the usernames from the same place as login...
If you are just using shadow passwords (eg /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow,
/etc/group), gdm-simple-greeter will use the user names in /etc/passwd.
There is a setting in /etc/gdm/custom.conf that lists the usernames to
include (usuall all/*) and to exclude (various non-user 'usernames'
like nobody, bin, daemon, etc.). I doubt that gdm-simple-greeter checks
to see if users in /etc/passwd have 'valid' shells, which is why there
is an exclude option