[CentOS] Exim installation on CentOS

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Feb 7 22:21:51 UTC 2010

james Tanit wrote:
> Could someone please share some thoughts on how to set up the /etc/hosts and /etc/aliases? This is tough to set up due to the poorly written manual.

under normal circumstances, /etc/hosts should have only two entries.
the exception to this may be if you're using NFS, then hosts should have
any NFS clients and servers names (unless you do your NFS mounts by IP
address, something I don't really recommend).

    127.0.0.1                      localhost localhost.localdomain
    xxx.yyy.zzz.www       hostname hostname.domainname.com

/etc/aliases would contain any email aliases you want, for instance, if
you want all mail to root to go to local account jamest...

    root:      jamest

there's usually a bunch of sorta stock aliases, like postmaster, etc,
these usually go to root, which in turn you forward to whomever.