[CentOS] slowness in sendmail - 60 second timeout

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 15:44:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> I am sending an email from my machine devcentos5x64.
> the transcript below (hangs for 60 seconds) at the line:
> MAIL From:<root at devcentos5x64.msgnet.com> SIZE=56
> AUTH=root at devcentos5x64.msgnet.com
>
> The email succeeds - but I am trying to figure out the 60 second delay.
> Neither email server is busy. Nothing is waiting.
>
> the DNS on both machines point to the same nameserver. The DNS responds
> very fast when looking up server names.
>
> What else can I look for to remove the slowness or delay?

Since you've checked DNS, try looking at your queue intervals and
timeout settings. If it's exactly a 60 second delay it's probably a
timeout value somewhere. If it's up to 60 seconds, look for the queue
settings in both /etc/sysconfig/sendmail and in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.

You might also peek at the interfaces on the system as having more
than one IP address can sometimes cause this slowness if not
configured properly.

Also, check the hosts file :)