[CentOS] what causes CUPS to dis-enable a printer?

Dave tdbtdb+centos at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 20:31:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Dave <tdbtdb+centos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Would it (should it) eventually notice that the server is back and re-enable
>> itself just as automatically as it disabled itself?
>> Dave
>>

> I found several people who offer cron scripts to do exactly that!  It
> is amazing what you find after you learn the correct thing to Google
> for!  Here, the magic words are "lpstat" and "enabled"
>

> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-2824
>
> "How do I start (enable) printer queues from a cron job in Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 4?"

Handy, only it invokes 'enable' which does not exist on my system.
Probably the centos equivalent is cupsenable?

[root at cod ~]# rpm -qs cups|grep enable
normal        /usr/sbin/cupsenable
normal        /usr/share/doc/cups-1.3.7/help/man-cupsenable.html
normal        /usr/share/man/man8/cupsenable.8.gz
[root at cod ~]# man cupsenable|cat -
cupsenable(8)                     Apple Inc.                     cupsenable(8)

NAME
       cupsdisable, cupsenable - stop/start printers and classes

SYNOPSIS
       cupsdisable [ -E ] [-U username ] [ -c ] [ -h server[:port] ] [ -r rea-
       son ] destination(s)
       cupsenable [ -E ] [-U username ] [ -c ] [ -h server[:port]  ]  destina-
       tion(s)

DESCRIPTION
       cupsenable starts the named printers or classes.

       cupsdisable stops the named printers or classes.  The following options
       may be used:

I'll test it out next time I have this problem.

mahalo,
Dave