[CentOS] Login timed out after 60 seconds

Paul Heinlein

heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Feb 12 00:45:28 UTC 2010

A server at work today appeared unresponsive to all network traffic.
The machine in question doesn't have a k/v/m terminal; it's configured
to use a serial console.

So I connected to the serial console and got /etc/issue (with all the
\char sequences properly expanded).

At the login: prompt I typed root and pressed Enter. Several seconds
went by before the Password: prompt was displayed. I typed the
password and soon saw

   Login timed out after 60 seconds

At which point /etc/issue and the login: prompt reappeared.

Later investigation revealed the load average was hovering around 100,
so it's unlikely the machine would be able to process the username and
password in under a minute.

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to lengthen that timeout
value from 60 to, say, 180. This isn't the first time I've wanted to
kill a runaway process and been unable to get a console because of
that timeout.