[CentOS] Slightly broken audio on USB headset?

Tony Mountifield

tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Fri Feb 12 13:03:58 UTC 2010

I have a Logitech USB headset which I have used very successfully on
Windows for a long time.

The other day I thought I would try it out on my CentOS 5 server, which
doesn't have its own sound hardware (HP ML110).

On plugging it in, all the required modules magically got loaded, and
the "play" command would play sound files as expected.

However, at all times when playing a sound file there was a ticking
sound two or three times a second, as if there were regular discontinuities
in the audio. Apart from the ticking, the sound quality was fine.

Can anyone suggest what I should look at to start diagnosing and fixing
this issue?

Thanks
Tony
--