[CentOS] Serial Port or USB monitoring / Logging

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sat Feb 13 03:14:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:58 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 00:52 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> > >Do any of you have any perl scripts that do this?  I would like to look
> > >at your logic either for a serial or usb port.
> >
> > Based on an upcoming but unlikely need I may have, I thought I would give
> > google a look, first hit lays some ideas out pretty easily:
> >
> > http://aplawrence.com/BGarlock/logger.html
> >
> > http://search.cpan.org/dist/Device-SerialPort/SerialPort.pm
> >
> > What exactly do you need to do?
> >

> Thanks for your response....
>
> I found this script on aplawrence as well, but my first attempts failed
> in making it work.  I decided to take another look at it after your
> note, and was successful getting Device::SerialPort to installed using a
> different computer.  I had to change :
>
> #$PORT      = "/dev/ttyD015";          # port to watch
> $PORT      = "/dev/ttyS0";          # port to watch
>
> but I was able to make it execute.
>
> I am trying to connect a automated urine analyzer to a serial report
> with the hope of catching the results so that I can eventually
> incorporate the data in a patient medical record.  I intend to do the
> same thing for a blood analyzer.
>
> Now that I have Tony Lawrence's script executing I can take the next
> step of connecting the urine analyzer to to the serial port to do some
> testing.
>
> Thanks for prompting me to look at the logger script again, I had given
> up on it.
>
> Greg

I did some additional testing and I am unable to get Device::SerialPort
to install using cpan on Fedora 12, but it works perfectly on Centos 5.4

On the Fedora system I am getting :
/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL' returned status 512, won't make

I plan to use Centos for this project, but was doing some testing with
Fedora in the beginning.

Greg