[CentOS] Clustering apache

Ian Forde ianforde at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 16:32:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 10:27 -0600, Dan Burkland wrote:
> I’m a greenhorn when it comes to clustering in RHEL/CentOS and
> recently setup an active/standby clustering using Apache & Heartbeat.
> It seems to be a good entry step into clustering however after testing
> it I was disappointed in that the resource manager does not start
> httpd on node2 if httpd on node1 is dead (only starts httpd on node2
> if the heartbeat daemon on node1 is dead). Is there anyway to achieve
> this setup if not with Heartbeat with some sort of other HA solution?

(Bear in mind - I'm talking about Heartbeat V1 config style here, not
v2/3.)

I've used mon successfully to enable that.  You can add mon as a
clustered resource in addition to apache, then configure mon to look for
the apache process.  If it finds that httpd isn't running, it will kill
the heartbeat process, thereby forcing a failover.

In Heartbeat V2/3, I believe that pacemaker does something similar,
though I'm not certain, as I'm mortally allergic to xml-based config
files that have been massively overbuilt. ;)

	-I