[CentOS] udp stream multiply

Philip Manuel phil at zomojo.com
Thu Feb 18 00:37:41 UTC 2010

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Jure Pečar wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:36:33 +0100
>> Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr> wrote:
>>

>>> if you control the app on the destinations, you could use multicast?
>>> Otherwise maybe broadcast on your LAN, all interested clients can pick
>>> up the packets.
>>>
>> Yes, these are the options, but what if I'm limited to unicasts? How do I take one packet, clone it into three, change destination address and send them out?
>>

> I don't think there is a generic tool for that, but it would be fairly simple to
> write a C program to do exactly what you want.  If it is something like a video
> or audio stream you might get vlc (videolan client) to receive and convert to
> multicast.

If speed wasn't an issue couldn't you use socat, tee, pipes and fifo's
and socat again to rebroadcast it ?  i.e socat as the listener redirect
to a fifo, have cat or socat as a listener to rebroadcast , use tee to
send to another fifo and another socat instance to send to another
host.  Horrible I know but feasible.