[CentOS] eSATA drive enclosure of a full PC?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Feb 21 05:36:59 UTC 2010

Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> HI All,
>
> I have a dilemma and I would appreciate advice
>
> 1. Get a good size case, mobo, processor, etc and put 8 hard drives it in and RAID them. (yes an 8 port SATA mobo). Running CentOS.
>
> or
>
> 2. Get an eSATA enclosure that has room for 8 or 10 drives and just connect it to box?

esata enclosure will be on a single SATA port, which will be a
bottleneck for 4 or more drives.  maybe even for 3 drives.  8 or more
drives should be on a 4 channel SAS port at least.

how about getting something like a QNAP and putting your storage on the
network?

for instance, http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=134