[CentOS] eSATA drive enclosure of a full PC?

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Mon Feb 22 14:48:09 UTC 2010

Stephen Harris wrote:
>> 1. Get a good size case, mobo, processor, etc and put 8 hard drives it in and RAID them. (yes an 8 port SATA mobo). Running CentOS.
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2. Get an eSATA enclosure that has room for 8 or 10 drives and just connect it to box?
>>

> My recommendation is the 2nd option.  I ran the first for a couple of years
> and was always suffering disk failures because you really really need good
> air-flow to keep that many disks cool.

If you're going to raid together than many disks, you've got to keep
them cool, which a standard case (no matter now many drive slots it has)
generally doesn't do very well.  My recommendation would be to get a
Supermicro case or something similar that is designed for raid.

--
Bowie