[CentOS] creating partitions on a 2.7TB drive

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Feb 23 17:57:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 at 4:11pm, Khusro Jaleel wrote

> straight away. I understand what you guys are saying about GPT and not
> being able to boot off it, etc but how did I end up in this situation?

There's an old saying that Unix gives you enough rope to hang yourself
with...

> And is this dangerous?

Yes.  Absolutely yes.  One day you'll reboot and your partition table (and
all your data) will be gone and unrecoverable.  Trust me.

> I am thinking that if this is possible, why not try and setup the second
> server the same way? But it just feels wrong that Ubuntu allows this and
> if CentOS does not, there must be a good reason.

And that reason is that it *will* die horribly and eat your data.  Set up
the small logical drive in the RAID BIOS as another poster detailed so
nicely.  Now.  Before now.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin