[CentOS] CentOS 5.3 host not seeing storage device

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 00:29:27 UTC 2010

> > On some systems, reboot is required? to access disk from SAN device.

This turned out to be a zoning issue.  Although I had properly created the
zone, I had to add it to our "Prod" configuration to make it live.  Once
that was done, the virtual tape library was recognized right away:

kernel:   Vendor: HP        Model: MSL G3 Series     Rev: EL21
kernel:   Type:   Medium Changer                     ANSI SCSI revision: 03
kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 8
kernel:   Vendor: HP        Model: Ultrium 4-SCSI    Rev: ED41
kernel:   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 03
kernel: scsi 0:0:1:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 1
kernel: st: Version 20070203, fixed bufsize 32768, s/g segs 256
kernel: st 0:0:1:0: Attached scsi tape st0
kernel: st0: try direct i/o: yes (alignment 512 B)