[CentOS] Desperately need help with multi-core NIC performance

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Feb 25 00:02:42 UTC 2010

Pete Kay wrote:
> Hi
>
> So is that the limit?  I have heard people being able to run like 10K
> call channels before max out CPU cap.

I would verify the network throughput of your system to make sure
the NIC/switch/etc are functioning normally, I use iperf to do
this, really simple tool to use just need two systems.

On a good network you should be able to sustain roughly 900+Mbit/s
with standard frame sizes and iperf on a single gigE link(hopefully
with no tuning)

sample run:

Client connecting to pd1-bgas01, TCP port 5001
TCP window size:   205 KByte (default)
[  3] local 10.16.1.12 port 54559 connected with 10.16.1.11 port 5001
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.06 GBytes    912 Mbits/sec

there are lots of options you can use to configure iperf to
simulate various types of traffic.

nate