[CentOS] Recommended PCIe SATA/SAS Controller?

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Feb 25 02:03:57 UTC 2010

On Thursday, February 25, 2010 09:53 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>> So what chipset would you recommend for non-raid, SATA solution?
>
> the OP said SAS/SATA without specifying how many ports, or what sort of
> connectors, or internal vs external...  I've already suggested the range
> of LSI Logic boards to fit various IO scenarios.

SAS can handle SATA. If he had SAS disks then he could not possibly ask
for a SATA controller now could he?

> Now, if what he really wants is just a bunch of SATA ports then I am at
> a loss,   my 2U servers tend to use SAS or FC (or ni older boxes, SCSI)
> storage.  The Marvell SATA chips have a problem-prone history.   I've
> used SIL stuff on desktops, but i don't think they are server grade.

Well they certainly won't give you the full 3gbps (or was that when you
paired it with the sil pmp chip...can't remember) but hey, the onboard
achi ports would work just fine too won't they? Why the card...hmm...