[CentOS] Backup solution to backup /var/spool/imap above 150GB data

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Thu Feb 25 12:27:28 UTC 2010

Have you read Brackup::Manual::Overview? Your questions are all answered in
the man pages there or linked from there.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 05:21:47PM +0530, Agnello George wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Gavin Carr <gavin at openfusion.com.au> wrote:
> > Brackup will backup to local disk, or remotely to ftp, sftp, Amazon S3, or
> > Rackspace CloudFiles targets/servers. So yes, on a lan you can backup over
> > ftp or sftp just fine.
> >
> > Re docs, install brackup, 'man Brackup::Manual::Overview'. I've also
> > written
> > a few blog posts on it: http://www.openfusion.net/tags/brackup.
> >
> I am trying to install the  brackup app on my system, the documentations
> seems very helpful ( http://www.openfusion.net/net/fun_with_brackup)
> But i have a  few  queries  with the config file :
> [TARGET:backups]
> type = Filesystem
> path = /backup
>
> [SOURCE:imapsource]
> path = /var/spool/imap
> chunk_size = 5m           # what does this mean ????
> gpg_recipient = 5E1B3EC5     # what does this mean ????

man Brackup::Manual::Overview; man Brackup::Root

> [SOURCE:bradhome]
> chunk_size = 64MB
> path = /raid/bradfitz/
> ignore = ^\.thumbnails/
> ignore = ^\.kde/share/thumbnails/
> ignore = ^\.ee/minis/
> ignore = ^build/
> ignore = ^(gqview|nautilus)/thumbnails/
>

> and suppose i want to backup it up to another server with scp / ssh     how
> is this attatined .

man Brackup::Target::Sftp

> secondly in whant format is the backup maintained .

Backups are trees of file chunks, and a metadata file to put the chunks back
together as files. So you get de-duplication for free between files and
across backups.

Cheers,
Gavin