[CentOS] Backup solution to backup /var/spool/imap above 150GB data

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Feb 26 00:20:04 UTC 2010

Years ago, I set up a backup tool that wrapped rsync. It has faithfully and
reliably backed up a dozen hosts and too many TB of data to mention, offsite,
automatically saving as many backup points as disk space allows.
You're certainly welcome to try it!

http://www.effortlessis.com/thisisnotbackupbuddy/

It works on an "ascending powers" basis, EG:

1 day ago,
2 days ago,
4 days ago,
8 days ago,
16 days ago...
until out of disk space.

=)

-Ben

On Thursday 25 February 2010 10:22:13 am Mike McCarty wrote:
> Agnello George wrote:
> > The requirement fro backup  is not  primarily  for HDD failure , but
> > human error failure . In case one of our user ( eg: the COO with huge
> > mailbox size has delete all his certain very important mails, and he
> > want to recover them , the contacts us as we are supposed to maintain
> > his mail backup for a week, and we should restore his backup immediately
> >  )  this the main requirement  for the backup  and that too on the same
> > server different partition .
>
> Have you considered using a snapshot approach? By that, I mean one
> which uses hard links to create the "backup", and as files get added/
> modified, the data are copied, and links are created. Usually, one
> has a snapshot directory with something like a daily snapshot, and
> 24 hourly ones, something like that.
>
> Mike

believed to be clean.