[CentOS] Email Problem

Simon Billis simon at houxou.com
Fri Feb 26 13:51:32 UTC 2010

Dear Susan,

Susan Day sent a missive on 2010-02-26:

> Here's my question
> again:
>
> The following message appears to have been sent, but in fact never
> does reach their destination:

That's not a correct statement - your email does reach google as can be seen
from your qmail log

> [root qmail-send]# tail current
>
> @400000004b87b3d3392cbddc new msg 97881462
>
> @400000004b87b3d3392cc5ac info msg 97881462: bytes 531 from
> <suzieprogrammer at gmail.com> qp 23629 uid 508
>
> @400000004b87b3d33b7f700c starting delivery 4: msg 97881462 to
> remotesuzieprogrammer at gmail.com
>
> @400000004b87b3d33b7f7bc4 status: local 0/10 remote 1/255
>
> @400000004b87b3d4338aec64 delivery 4: success:
> 209.85.216.35_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_2.0.0_OK_1267184
> 5 86_6si3416200pxi.53/

This ip address is google's and the remote host accepted the mail.

whois 209.85.216.35
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]
OrgName:    Google Inc.

> @400000004b87b3d4338af434 status: local 0/10 remote 0/255
>
> @400000004b87b3d4338d4dc4 end msg 97881462

<<SNIP>>

> Why?

That is a good question - I "guess" that google's email system thinks you're
sending them spam. If you want your mail to be accepted you may need to have
implemented SPF and domainkeys. Also I think that if you are using a script
to generate the email then ensure that you are creating the required headers
and that your mail conforms to the rfc.

You can also try to send mail to your google address by hand i.e. telnet to
google's mail platform on port 25 and mimic the smtp conversation by hand to
see if you can get any further....

HTH

Simon.