[CentOS] Email Problem

Simon Billis simon at houxou.com
Fri Feb 26 16:05:36 UTC 2010

Hi Sue,

> From: Susan Day <suzieprogrammer at gmail.com>
>> [root]# telnet mail.mydomain.com 25
>> Trying 209.216.9.56...
>> Connected to mail.mydomain.com.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> 220 mail.mydomain.com ESMTP
>> HELO mail.mydomain.com
>> 250 mail.mydomain.com
>> MAIL FROM suzie at mydomain.com
>> 250 ok
>> RCPT TO suzieprogrammer at gmail.com
>> 250 ok
>> DATA testing
>> 354 go ahead
>> .
>> 250 ok 1267194591 qp 11432
>>> quit
>> 221 mail.mydomain.com
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>> [root]#
>> I didn't receive any message. Time for domainkeys?
>
> Hum... maybe Google checks if the reverse dns matches...
> Or maybe check http://www.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax
>
> JD

>From earlier posts you will have seen that you need to create the headers
correctly in the body part of the email (just after you entered in DATA).
Also do not spoof the domain in the helo portion either.... your email MUST
be valid in every way or it WILL be discarded by the anti-spam measures.
Also if you continue to send "spam" to their servers you WILL become black
listed and then even legitimate email will not be delivered.

If you implement SPF make sure that you get it right or your mail will be
blocked.... there are plenty of spf checkers out there.

Finally, I would not send mail to service providers like hotmail or google
until I had my script emailing my local domain correctly.... at least when
you send mail to your localdomain, you're in control of the reception as
well as the transmission.

Good luck

Simon.