[CentOS] Temperature sensor

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 17:12:10 UTC 2010

On 2/26/2010 10:46 AM, Paul Heinlein wrote:

>>> There is a good chance that lm-sensors supports your servers with
>>> no additional hardware needed. To configure lm-sensors, run
>>> 'sensors-detect' as root. If your cpu/motherboard is supported you
>>> will be able to read system temps directly either using SNMP or by
>>> scraping 'sensors' output.
>>
>> I'm looking for room temperature, not case temperature.
>
> Some hardware provides SNMP-addressable information on the temperature
> of inbound air, not just case temperature. I realize that inbound
> temperature is not exactly the same as room temp, but it's a pretty
> good approximation in many case.

Yes, are you really that concerned about whether people in the room are
comfortable - they'll tell someone if they aren't even without gadgets.
If the room is getting hot, so will the equipment, so internal sensors
will show the trend, just offset by a bit of equipment heat.  Most Cisco
equipment and higher end UPS's will have SNMP readable sensors that
monitoring programs can read, graph, and alarm on thresholds, and I
believe you can enable them on linux servers with the right snmpd.conf
settings.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com