[CentOS] emergency! linux kickstart pxe boot needed

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Sun Feb 28 18:18:43 UTC 2010

> Is PXE kickstart easy to set up?  I have a laptop here with DHCP
> already going.   I google and a bunch of stuff comes up but it does
> not look simple.

system-config-netboot should be able to take care of almost everything for
you .. although you will need to add a statement like the following in the
subnet statement for your dhcp server:

allow booting; allow bootp; class "pxeclients" { match if substring(option
vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient"; next-server <ip address of
tftp server that you ran system-config-netboot on>;
filename "linux-install/pxelinux.0"; }

In case you have issues on the client side with pxe booting .. check out
some gPXE (formerly Etherboot) howtos at
http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/howtos which allow you to boot over http.

Hope this helps,
Barry