[CentOS] Monitoring Dynamic IPs using Some network monitoring tool

Rajagopal Swaminathan

raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 19:56:36 UTC 2010

Greetings,

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>>
> Why not run Openvpn on the remote and central centos boxes to create a big
> private network, using unique IP ranges for each remote?  This can be used for
> other management purposes or could be firewalled to just permit snmp.  For what
> you describe, all you need is a route to the routers, and this would give you a
> route to the 'inside' interface.  If you want to allow it, it will also allow
> remote access to everything behind the router.

Well taken

> Your router is probably only going to have snmp, and accessing it from the
> inside interface will work to report the interface usage of all interfaces.

Well taken

> Probably not, but you can vpn-tunnel through it, and openvpn will work fine
> through NAT and with one end having a dynamic address.

Well taken and am working towards that (With you know what ... see below)

> I'm partial to opennms - and have used it in somewhat similar circumstances
> (generally static IP's, but using a central monitor from the private side
> through tunnels). The one thing you need for this to work is unique IP addresses
> throughout, though.  Most monitor tools will be tied to IP addressing and will
> be confused if each location NATs to the same range.

Apologies. But Zabbix is settled for time being as it eventually be a
government property and they have more or less  standardised on LAMP.
And Zabix seems to be a very promising tool.

But Zabbix 1.8 does not seem to do a simple ping test on an IP. Maybe
I am facing the wrong end of it....

Anybody with experience on Zabbix???

Thanks again and Regards with best of season's greetings,

Rajagopal