[CentOS] Installing over network

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Jan 4 16:54:43 UTC 2010

Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I see that sparc.centos.org does not contain any ISO's so that I can install from CD.
>
> How does one install over the internet? I have never done it before.

older sparcs use a different network boot sequence than PCs, they do NOT
use bootp or PXE.    rather, they use RARP -> bootparam -> tftp ->. nfs

Solaris refers to this process as jumpstart.  at the openboot prompt
("Ok"), you simply enter `boot net`, the host does a RARP to get the
bootparam server's IP, the bootparam service provides the host with the
TFTP configuration information, and the host then gets the boot loader
from tftp, and then this generally loads the rest of the OS from NFS.