[CentOS] Centos 5.4 and TYAN s4985 motherboard....

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Tue Jan 5 18:30:03 UTC 2010

On 1/4/2010 10:09 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Was wondering if anyone has any luck with the Tyan s4985 motherboard, I
> had loaded up the latest 5.4 release and in installed most everything
> that I wanted but when I loaded it up, as in processor wise it would
> lock up.  Funny thing I could still ssh to it but not do a su - or
> anything from the console.  I think it is kernel related and tried the
> previous kernel but it still exhibited the same symptom.  The only thing
> I saw in the log was a message about a soft lockup on cpu0, there is a
> open bug for that but from the description doesn't appear to cause any
> issues.  I am running 4 opteron 8356 just for clarification....

Looks like 207 is the latest:
http://www.tyan.com/support_download_bios.aspx?model=S.S4985

According to the OS support matrix:
http://www.tyan.com/tech/OS_Support_AMDRedHat5.aspx

Not all embedded components have drivers (2c = SATA RAID), which should
only indicate that the fake-RAID doesn't work in RHEL 5 64bit.

Try booting other live CDs?  Including some from other 64bit distros
that might have a more recent kernel?