[CentOS] unattended fsck on reboot

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 20:11:10 UTC 2010

On 1/6/2010 1:17 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:

>>> My thoughts exactly.  All servers should have this these days, be it
>>> an integrated card or an IP-based KVM.
>
>> But, on the other hand they should never need it, except perhaps when
>> installing the OS if you don't use a full-auto method or clone disks.
>
> All hardware sucks, all software sucks.
>
> Your machine _will_ go wrong and you _will_ need remote console access and
> remote power ability.  Especially if you have thousands of these things.

Of course things break - including the extra stuff you might add for out
of band access, but (a) many/most of the things that break can't be
fixed remotely so you are going to end needing to swap things out
anyway, and (b) if you have thousands you should have enough redundancy
to survive until you get around to swapping the broken thing with
something that works.  An IP KVM might save a trip or hands-on support
call once in a while but the odds aren't that great.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com