[CentOS] [OT] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Jan 7 14:27:27 UTC 2010

On 01/06/2010 09:35 PM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> This is not directly related to CentOS but still: we are trying to set
> up some storage servers to run under Linux - most likely CentOS. The
> storage volume would be in the range specified: 8-15 TB. Any
> recommendations as far as hardware?

I would recommend dont-homebrew. Get a vendor to build you a 3/4U box,
get a couple of quad core cpu's in, and enough ram to do you in-use
buffers. Also dont go over 1 TiB in storage per spindle if you want to
get even relatively reasonable performance ( even when in use as a filer
box ).

Not long back, I had the chance to do some performance metrics on a dual
Areca-16xx hosted 24x1TiB disk setup - and we tested it for various
loads, running CentOS-5.4/x86_64 and it consistently outperformed the
sun thumper box's, coming in about 1/4th the price.

The other thing to keep in mind is to estimate and prove the cpu
processing capability and network capability you are going to need out
of this machine and dont skim on that. Dont just get overly focused on
just the hba and disk metrics.

- KB