[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Matty matty91 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 16:09:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>> From: Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com>
>>> This is not directly related to CentOS but still: we are trying to set up some storage servers to run under Linux - most likely CentOS. The storage volume would be in the range specified: 8-15 TB. Any recommendations as far as hardware?
>>
>> Depends on your budget.
>> Here, we use HP DL180 servers (12 x 1TB disks in 2U)...
>> You can also check Sun Fire X**** servers; up to 48 x 1TB in 4U...
>>

> Somebody said something about Sun servers being pricey and that quality
> was going downhill...something about cheap controllers...any comments on
> this?

We have a bunch of X4540 Netbackup media servers running Solaris 10 +
ZFS. While I can't comment on all of the controllers Sun uses, the
SATA chipset / controllers in the 4540 seem to be pretty solid so far
(our backup servers process 20TB+ of data each day).

- Ryan
--
http://prefetch.net