[CentOS] Laptop for CentOS-5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 20:18:01 UTC 2010

On 1/7/2010 1:49 PM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 1/7/2010 1:14 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
>>>
>>> Low-end (read: cheap) Dell laptops tend to be junk.  Dell is somewhat
>>> between a rock and a hard place WRT selling computers with an O/S
>>> *other* then MS-Windows, due to M$ OEM licensing.  Also, Dell (and other
>>> makers) have had troubles with people chosing the *cheaper* Ubuntu
>>> computers only to discover that MS-Windows software not working on them
>>> and returning them as 'defective' (this is probably a mis-information
>>> issue by the marketing people).
>>
>> I don't think the return issue is actually true:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/12/dell_reality_linux_windows_netbooks/
>
> I'd agree though that the low-end Dells have quality issues. Though I
> haven't returned any of the five or so Inspirons that I've purchased,
> all of them have had issues that required in-warranty repair. These
> range from physical sound issues, hinges popping open, unequal LCD
> illumination, and DVD Reader failures. The two XPSs I own have been
> rock solid, however.  The Inspirons run CentOS well though.

I've always thought the Latitude line was a lot more reliable than the
Inspirons.  I carried a D600 everywhere for years, then a D630 more
recently with no problems with either, but they have just changed the
whole series.  I have Windows/Ubuntu dual-booting on the D630 only
because Centos 5.0 didn't work with the wifi - but the current version
might.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com