[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri Jan 8 10:54:20 UTC 2010

Christopher Chan schrieb:
>> cause when I did - the x45xx's/zfs were between 18 to 20% slower on disk
>> i/o alone compared with a supermicro box with dual areca 1220/xfs.
>>
>> the thumpers make for decent backup or vtl type roles, not so much for
>> online high density storage.
>>

> Speaking of thumpers and Supermicro, it looks like Supermicro has a very
> close answer to the thumper.
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/storage/
>
> The SC847 has an existing configuration that goes up to 36disks and
> another that will go up to 45 in 4U of space although the 45 disk case
> does not seem to have a page just yet.
> _

" Maximum 3.5" hot-swap drives density 36x (24 front + 12 rear) HDD bays"

http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847A-R1400.cfm

Did anybody else think "WTF?" when you saw that picture?

I have seen crazy stuff, but that one is pretty high-up on the list....

Doesn't that make cooling problematic?

Rainer