[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Matty matty91 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 19:18:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Matty <matty91 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher
>> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

>> > Somebody said something about Sun servers being pricey and that quality
>> > was going downhill...something about cheap controllers...any comments on
>> > this?
>>
>> We have a bunch of X4540 Netbackup media servers running Solaris 10 +
>> ZFS. While I can't comment on all of the controllers Sun uses, the
>> SATA chipset / controllers in the 4540 seem to be pretty solid so far
>> (our backup servers process 20TB+ of data each day).
>>
>> - Ryan
>> --
>> http://prefetch.net
>
> Thanks Ryan!
>
> What price range (roughly) are we talking here?

I'm not sure what we paid for our servers (I recommend hardware
purchases, and another group inside the company negotiates pricing and
places the order), but they are really well engineered machines. There
are probably cheaper solutions available, but you get what you pay
for.

- Ryan
--
http://prefetch.net