[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 06:14:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 17:09 -0800, nate wrote:

> Using 15K RPM drives I can tell you that a 3PAR T400(very well
> versed in their products, fast easy to use) can do 25.6 Gbits/second
> (3.2 gigabytes/second) sustained throughput. 640 drives, 48GB data
> cache.
>
> If you were starting out at such a level I'm certain they would
> suggest you go with a T800 chassis which would allow you to double
> that performance. The T400 and T800 are identical with the exception
> of the backplane(~10GBytes/sec vs ~46GBytes/sec), the number of
> controllers(max of 4 vs max of 8), and the number of disks(640 vs
> 1280).
>
> Took a while to find a publically available version of this but
> see page 8 of this pdf:
> http://www.dsw.cz/files/DSW09_Polcom_Prague%2024092009v2.pdf
>
> nate
---
Interesting link for info  there.  I found [1] and at the bottom of the
page there is like tidbits of info in PDFs of the different models.  Any
idea where I could get more info than that, like data sheets and case
studies.

My main problem is bandwidth and workload.  Another problem is I am
being told there is such a thing as Triple Disk Mirroring.  Then I am
being told that there is not and all it is only Raid 1 with just
Replication to another Volume Set, sorta like a LVM Snapshot so to
speak.  Last thing is I am told GE is just rebranded Brocade.  Thanks
for the info & link.

[1] http://www.3par.com/library.html

John