[CentOS] Moving LVM from one machine to another

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jan 9 13:32:51 UTC 2010

> On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:02:12PM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> > > Now I've moved those 5 disks onto a CentOS5 machine and the RAID array
> > > is being rebuilt.  However the LVM structures weren't detected at boot
> > > time.  I was able to "vgscan" and 'vgchange -a y' to bring the volume
> > > online and then fsck the logical volumes.
> > >
> > > But I was concerned this didn't happen at boot time.  Do I need to do
> > > anything else, or have the commands I've run done sufficient?
> > >
> > > FWIW, this machine has no other LVM (nor RAID) disks on it.
> >
> > This is why.  Unless the machine 'knows' to look for LVM (eg has the
> > mumble mumble in /etc/lvm/), it wouldn't look for it during start up.  And
> > unless it's root file system is on LVM its initrd won't have the
> > "vgscan" and 'vgchange -a y' commands in the init script.
>
> So what's the fix?  How do I get the right "mumble mumble"? :-)

You do a "vgscan" and 'vgchange -a y' manually.  This should put the
right stuff in /etc/lvm/.

It is rare/unusual to 'add' LVM volumns to a running system from some
'outside' source (as you did via a disk transplant).  Linux installers
will do the "vgscan" and 'vgchange -a y' during the install process and
vgcreate updates /etc/lvm/, so the problem rarely comes up.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933