[CentOS] Are SSD disks worth the cost for server usage?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Tue Jan 12 16:04:24 UTC 2010

Mathieu Baudier wrote:

> My question is whether it is worth using one of type A (with SSD
> drives) in order to host the critical data such as the web sites and
> the subversion repository (critical in the sense that these services
> should be fast, always available, and the related data as safe as
> possible).

Go with 10/15k RPM SAS, not Intel SSD or SATA if you want best
availability. Intel SSDs have had firmware issues since they came
out, I doubt we've seen the end of firmware changes on them.

If you want even higher availability go with a better provider,
this is a good cloud hosting provider which uses VMware and high
availability storage -

http://www.terremark.com/technology-platform/nap-data-centers.aspx

http://vcloudexpress.terremark.com/

Looks like they have 4 locations in Europe, I haven't used them
myself but went through a presentation for them last year very
impressive, though they are pricey. If you have simple requirements
it's probably not bad though(will be a few times more $ than the
hosting provider your looking at, but hey you wanted fast, always
available, and safe, those aren't cheap). You can provision machines
yourself, manage a remote firewall, and load balancers from their
web UI.

nate