[CentOS] Rhythmbox won't play mp3 files

Kevin Kempter

kevink at consistentstate.com
Tue Jan 12 20:23:45 UTC 2010

Hi all;

I'm actually running RHEL 5.4

I installed the rpmforge centos repo (and disabled it). Then I installed the
following:

yum --enablerepo=rpmforge install libdvdcss libdvdread libdvdplay libdvdnav
lsdvd mplayerplug-in mplayer mplayer-gui compat-libstdc++-33 flash-plugin
gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-ffmpeg libquicktime

yum --enablerepo=rpmforge install xmms

which installed these:

xmms
gdk-pixbuf
glib
gtk+
mikmod

yum --enablerepo=rpmforge install gstreamer gstreamer gstreamer-plugins-base
gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-tools

which installed these:

gstreamer-plugins-ugly
a52dec
amrnb
lame
libcdio
libdvdcss
libdvdread
libid3tag
libmad
libsidplay
libsndfile
mpeg2dec
twolame

Anyone know what else I need to make rhythmbox recognize/play mp3 files?

Thanks in advance.