[CentOS] offtopic repo's further discussion

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Tue Jan 12 22:38:12 UTC 2010

lostson wrote:

>  All in all I'm not saying I want Cent to become one of the "other"
> distros here I'm just saying is there room for improvement ? To make
> things easier for the average user at home.

>From the centos web site
"CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution[..]"

I don't think I've ever seen anything claim to be enterprise class
and be easy to use for someone at home.

Sounds like CentOS may not be the right distro for you, for me I
use what works best for me, my work servers run CentOS, my VM
systems run VMware, my home systems run Debian or Ubuntu(depending
on hardware).

Myself I've mentioned many times that CentOS/RHEL doesn't make a good
desktop, it makes a fine workstation though(to me the distinction would
be what kind of apps are run). That doesn't stop people from
using it as a desktop, just like it didn't stop me from using Slackware
as a desktop 12 years ago, but that's not what it is built for because
that's not what Red hat builds for.

And I never directly use 3rd party repos. The closest I get is
building SRPMs from some of them. I suppose I'm just crazy like
that though. I have about 600 RPMs built for my work environment.

nate