[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Wed Jan 13 10:43:35 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 13 January 2010, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 01:05:39AM +0100, Peter Kjellstrom wrote:

> > > If you can split the storage up into 2TB or smaller volumes that you
> > > can mount into sensible locations to spread the load and avoid
> > > contention you can always use software RAID1.
> >
> > Funny you should mention software RAID1... I've seen two instances of
> > that getting silently out-of-sync and royally screwing things up beyond
> > all repair.
> >
> > Maybe this thread has gone on long enough now?
>
> Not yet :)
>
> Please tell more about your hardware and software. What distro? What
> kernel? What disk controller? What disks?

Both of my data-points are several years old so most of the details are lost
in the fog-of-lost-memories...

Both were on desktop class hardware with onboard IDE or SATA. If I remember
correctly one was on CentOS(4?) and one was on either an old Ubuntu or a
classic debian (atleast we're talking 2.6 kernels).

My main point was that, nope, linux-md is not the holy grail either.

The only storage products that I've not had fail me tend to be either:
 1) Those that are too new (give them time)
 2) Those that I havn't tried (in scale) yet (which always gives a strong "the
grass is greener on the other side feeling")

/Peter