[CentOS] Backup server

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 15:31:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se> wrote:
> [...]

Do you currently need that disk space for something else?  If not,
then there is no reason to get rid of the old files.  An empty disk is
a wasted disk, so you would be creating free space on a perfectly good
disk that you already paid for.  Having blank space gains you nothing,
but deleting  a file that you could need in 6 months might cost you.

Pick a percentage of the disk that you are comfortable using for
backups, and then let the backups grow to that size.  Only when you
reach that size or need the space for something with a higher priority
should you worry about recovering the space.