[CentOS] Problem with checkinstall

Bob McConnell

rmcconne at lightlink.com
Thu Jan 14 13:44:59 UTC 2010

I installed checkinstall 1.6.2 on CentOS 5.4 VM (VMWare Server on
WinXP). After getting the dependencies installed it compiled with no
errors. But when I run it in its own source directory, I keep getting an
error that I can't track down. The message is:

install: cannot change ownership of '/usr/local/lib/installwatch.so': No
such file or directory.

But not only does the file exist, it has the correct permissions and
creation time. I am running this as root. I did change the permissions
on both make and install to 0755, but that did not help. The command
line is:

checkinstall -R --install=no

Any suggestions?

Bob McConnell