[CentOS] Backup server

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Thu Jan 14 14:41:25 UTC 2010

Behalf
>Of Les Mikesell
>Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:14 PM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Backup server
>
>If you have any opportunity to change things, I'd get some larger drives
and use
>raid1 or 0+1.  If you want offsite copies, a workable approach in the 2TB
scale
>is to make a 3-member raid1 where you periodically swap the 3rd drive (in
an
>internal or external swappable sata enclosure).   If you don't need that, a
4
>drive 0+1 raid of 1.5 TB drives would give you 3TB and better performance.
What
>you have will work - but it will limit performance.

Nice idea, but no budget. Sorry. Maybe next year. This year is for getting
this thing started at all, and get the backups going. Therefore I opted for
most possible space with some redundancy. Not the best solution, but
workable.

>> As it is now, the 2TB shebang is mounted as /backup. Does that count as a
>> single filesystem?
>
>Yes, but if you use the epel rpm, either mount it at /var/lib/BackupPC or
put a
>symlink there before the install.   If you install from the sourceforge
source
>there is an install script that modifies the location so you can put things
>where you want, but the rpm packages have already done that.  The next
version
>will make this easier to change but the current one needs to stay in the
>location set when the package was built.

It'll probably be epel. Symlink's probably the easiest way to do it. Thanks
for the hint.