[CentOS] Backup server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:54:44 UTC 2010

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]

SATA disks fit into 'office supply' budgets.

> I opted for the proven 500GB-sized disks and got more of those instead. I've
> had a handful of 750GB-drives die on me recently.

Go to the vendor's web site, enter their serial numbers and get an RMA for a
free replacement.  Every vendor has had bad batches.

> Somehow it feels the
> technology isn't quite there yet for the bigger drive-sizes. Anybody remember
> the IBM Deskstars in the early 00's...?

They replace them too, within the warranty period. This is the reason you are
making backups, remember. Things break.

> Also, my experience is the more smaller disks you have, the faster they get.
> Less to write to each I guess.

That's true when the heads seek independently.  With raid5 you lock onto the
slowest of the set unless you have a very large number of drives.

>> Second, to maximize 'depth' of backups you should use a 'Tower of
>> Hanoi'-like backup system.
>
> Good advice, thanks!

Backuppc will take care of that for you.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com