[CentOS] Backup server

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:07:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se> wrote:
> [...]

There seems to be a persistent conception among managers that anything
"IT related" is a huge capital expenditure (as it used to be), and
there's all sorts of resistance to buying anything new.  However, you
probably spend more on printer paper in 1 week than it costs to buy a
1TB drive.  This kind of equipment is a disposable commodity, even
though the accounting department still prefers to write it off over 7
years.

However, IT also has a reputation of always wanting to buy new toys.
Many times these toys are not needed, even though the IT person
insists that they are.  So you need to be able to walk the fine line
between these two.

To put it into perspective, ask the manager how much it would cost the
business if this data was unrecoverable?  After that, if they still
don't want to spend a few hundred $$s on the insurance, get it in
writing that your manager understands the risk and print it out and
post it on your office wall.