[CentOS] Backup server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 17:04:39 UTC 2010

On 1/14/2010 10:41 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> <snip>
>>>
>>> Seagate Barracudas - mid-nineties, and again three-four years ago.
>>> Mid-nineties, first time as a sysadmin, and in nine months, *five* out
>>> of... was it eight? failed, one *twice*. The Sun account rep for who I
>>> worked for knew me by name.... I won't *ever* touch a Barracuda
>>> willingly.
>>
>> That's not a particularly useful reaction because every vendor has
>> shipped bad batches and it's a toss of the dice who will be next.
>> Better to avoid short warranties and bad customer service - and never
>> use the same model/batch for your backups as the live systems.
>
> Ah, no. Back in the eighties and early nineties, I thought highly of
> Seagates. Then, in the mid-nineties, *every* *single* ISP in Chicago had
> dumped the then-new Seagate Barracudas... and not a year after that, I got
> stuck with them in the external drives for my Sun, and the problem - note
> that I said one of them was replaced *twice* - clearly lasted for at least
> a couple of years. Then, about 4 years ago (plus or minus a year), I was
> hearing the same thing. It appears to me that Seagate, esp. with the
> Barracuda line, has a tendency to rush them out the door with clearly
> inadequate quality control. They've done it twice, ten years apart, so I
> take that as an institutional failing.

But they weren't the only ones - just perhaps the biggest volume vendor,
generally for good reasons.  Name someone that hasn't shipped a bad
drive - that we can afford.

Besides, single drive failures should really be the least of your
problems because they are common enough that ordinary OS's and
controllers have simple techniques to deal with them. But there are a
near-infinite number of other things that can go wrong that you also
need to be prepared for.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com