[CentOS] unison versus rsync

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Thu Jan 14 19:56:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>>Another feature of rsync modules that can be useful is that each module can
>>specify a user and group thus one can rsync user directories between
>>systems where the user names are the same but uid and gid may differ.
>
>I have been looking at this all morning. Is there any way to auth with keys
>or something unique so I can script this securely? Iiuc, the only auth is done
>through these rsync user/pass pairs unless you do it with hosts etc.

Using rsync in daemon mode with modules requires no authentication if you
are comfortable with restricting access to each module by IP address or
CIDR block.  The rsync man page also says:

     Some modules on the remote daemon may require  authentication.
     If  so, you  will receive a password prompt when you connect.
     You can avoid the password prompt by setting the environment
     variable RSYNC_PASSWORD  to the password you want to use or
     using the --password-file option. This may be useful when
     scripting rsync.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Many companies that have made themselves dependent on [the equipment of a
certain major manufacturer] (and in doing so have sold their soul to the
devil) will collapse under the sheer weight of the unmastered complexity of
their data processing systems.
    -- Edsger W. Dijkstra, SIGPLAN Notices, Volume 17, Number 5