[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Jan 14 20:14:34 UTC 2010

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> My main issue with that kit is that the linux drivers are very basic,
> lack most management capabilities and fail often with obscure issues.
> And, as Peter pointed out already, they are not really exposing a proper
> scsi interface, but modeled around a really old ata stack.

One thing HP has attempted to do with all their smartarray cards is
maintain RAID volume set compatability, so you can move a raid set from
a failed server to another raid controller that has the same interface
even if its a different controller..   most of the older cards at least
were based on various megaraid hardware, but with custom HP firmware.
On many of their systems, they actually put the battery backup write
cache with the batteries on a little paddle card, and if a server fails,
you can move the drives with that BBWC to a new server, and poof, its
all good, the write cache is flushed to the drives and everyone is happy.

they definitely have some annoying habits.    I've got one server that
has 4 bays on a split SCSI bus (bay 0/1 are one scsi bus, bay 2/3 are
another).  I created a raid1 with volumes 0,1  and thought gee, I should
use bays 0,2 instead.  well< I never figured out how to do it.  I tried
adding 2 as a hotspare, then manually failing the drive in 1 (eg,
yanking it out), the raid rebuilt with the spare, but its status was
'failed w/ spare' and when I replaced the disk in bay 1, it restriped
back to 0,1