[CentOS] High load since passing from rhas3 to centos4.8

Fernando Gleiser fergleiser at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 00:32:19 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----

first of all, if you have high load average with seemingly low utilization, it may be because of load imbalance between CPUs and/or short bursts of lots of short cpu-intensive processes.

Here's what I'd look at first:

run "vmstat 1 10" and look at the first column. if it's higher than 1/ncpu you're having cpu saturation.

rum "mpstat -P ALL 1 10", this gives you cpu utilisation per cpu (sar gives you the average among all processors)

Also take a look at "sar -q 1 10" to look at the CPU's queues sizes

Hope this helps

Fer