[CentOS] Centos and RadeonHD 4570

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 17 22:38:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 21:44 +0000, Lucian @ lastdot.org wrote:
> Recently I've done a bad bad thing, buying a laptop with an ATI card.

I have a less-than-ideal but so-far working setup with Centos 5 on this
computer which has a Radeon x1950 card in it.

When I first set this machine up I put Fedora 10 on it and it "just
worked".  But I changed it over to Centos 5 a couple of months ago and
have found that drivers that come with Centos 5 don't support this card
properly; "man radeon" doesn't list it as a supported card; it was
listed as supported by Fedora 10.  It works with the vesa driver, but
not at the 1680x1050 resolution that my monitor uses.

I reluctantly downloaded and installed
ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run

Now my monitor runs at 1680x1050 like it should.  It's my understanding
that the 3d stuff doesn't work completely right because I seem to have a
strange mix of SGI, ATI and Mesa listed when I run glxinfo, but since I
don't do 3d stuff it really doesn't bother me.  3d does actually
work,anyway, because glxgears runs and gives me about 2030fps, so I
don't know if I'm actually missing out on anything.

I'm kind of hoping that a Centos update will come around that supports
my Radeon x1950 card natively so I can get away from the ATI proprietary
junk that I seem to be stuck with at the moment.