[CentOS] sendmail alias

Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Mon Jan 18 15:03:51 UTC 2010

Stephen Harris schrieb:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 02:39:37PM +0100, G?tz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator wrote:
>> how are mails forwarded, if I do have the same alias pointing to two
>> different users like this (two entries, two lines):
>>
>> bon.aqua: coke
>> bon.aqua: pepsi
>
> That will not work.
>
>> Will coke and pepsi get the mail adressed to bon.aqua or will only the
>> first entry get the mail?
>
> You'll get a warning message
>
>   $ grep testme /etc/aliases
>   testme: user1
>   testme: user2
>   $ newaliases
>   /etc/aliases: line 105: testme... Warning: duplicate alias name testme
>   /etc/aliases: 80 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 812 bytes total

:-) It must be monday ... I've looked up the warning (what I could have
done before posting) and:

http://home.bolink.org/ebooks/networking/sendmail/ch24_04.htm

24.4.4 Duplicate Entries and Automation

Ordinarily, duplicate local names on the left-hand side of the colon in
an alias file will result in an error. For example, consider this
abstract from an aliases file:

    staff: bob
    staff: george

Running newaliases on this file would produce the following error
message and would cause the first entry to be ignored:

    Warning: duplicate alias name george

	/Götz

--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. Claudia Hübner
Staatsrätin für Demographischen Wandel und für Senioren im Staatsministerium

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt