[CentOS] error rsyncing large file

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 19:13:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> Trying to rsync a rather large file from a windows server to a centos server
> and all but this is working fine.
>
> As it's a 20 gig file I am trying to send the diff of with a -c, I suspect over
> the low bandwidth this presents an issue. I also stage this file locally on another
> centos server and could calc the diff and create a patch and send that, comparing
> checksums etc...
>
> A quick look at bsdiff and bspatch and the mem requirements on my 20 gig file make
> that solution rather not acceptable.
>
> Anyone know a better solution to accomplish this?
>
> Thanks!
> jlc

I don't understand why the diff shenanigans.  Rsync has that built-in,
so you shouldn't need to be doing that as a separate step.

If it is a file size limit, you could try to split(1) the file, then
rsync the chunks.  You might also try cygwin 1.7, which has improved
the support for modern Windows OS dramatically.