[CentOS] perl updates always break perl programs, how to fix?

James Chase

chase1124 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 20:46:41 UTC 2010

I realize this is my fault because once upon a time I installed a package
using CPAN and probably other admins on the system have as well but now
whenever I update perl I have to jump through hoops to get perl applications
to work again (usually updating Scalar::Util and another package with CPAN).
I would love to figure out how to fix this so it's not such a headache to
keep up to date with perl, but I can't figure out how.

I tried moving my /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl directory out of the way and
installing perl-Scar-Util using yum but it doesn't let me because the
perl-5.8.8 rpm owns the man file for that. I'm not sure why the default
Scalar-Util (isn't it built in to the base install of perl on CentOS)
doesn't work in the first place?

Also I do add perl packages via the dag/rpmforge repo, not sure if that
messes up the perl updates too. Sorry I realize this could also be
classified as a perl question -- but I'm hopeful other centos admins found a
way to get their centos back into compliance with the yum updates.

Thanks,
James

--
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes."
 --  Henry David Thoreau